Welcome back to Tuesday Tutorial. That's as much a message for me as for you, I keep getting caught up in things to do on a Tuesday. Today I should have been off to visit my Mum, but she phoned to say the weather was bad so here I am instead :)
This set of earrings looks really complicated, but it is very straight forward, needing just one technique - turning a loop on a headpin. This item will give you lots of practice at that :)
You will need
30 beads, 10 each of 3 sizes eg 3mm,4mm,5mm
2 x 2.5" chain. Make sure the loops are big enough to thread 2 head pins into and have at least 9 links in 2.5 inches.
30 x Headpins
2 x 5mm jump rings
2 x ear hooks.
1. Thread all your beads onto individual headpins, bend the headpin to a right angle and turn a loop. Instructions on this are here,
Separate your beads into 2 sets with 5small, 5medium and 5 of your largest beads in each.
2. Starting with one set of beads take a small bead, open the loop slightly, thread on to the last link of your chain and close the loop.
3. In the same way thread the next TWO beads, both small onto the next link in the chain.
4. Add two more of the small beads to the next link. You now have the five small beads added
5. Continue in the same way, adding first the medium then the large beads. Note that you will have a link with one large and one medium bead.
6. Add a jump ring to the last link in your chain and an ear hook to the jump ring. Close the ring.
7. Repeat to make your second earring.
These are a great design that is so easy to alter to your own style. Use spikey beads for a punky look, lots of colours for a Mardi Gras style, or soften up with dusky pinks and greens for a vintage feel. Once you have made these, why not try bracelets or necklaces (start in the middle of your chain with these for graduated sizes) adding a clasp at one end of the chain and a jump ring at the other (7.5" approx for bracelet, 20" approx for necklace)
Hope you enjoy trying this and I would love to see what you make. If you send me a picture I would be happy to add it here :)
PS My website could do with some love here